Sunday, November 11, 2007

Road Work Ahead...

So Friday I returned from another great visit to Indianapolis. Basically, I was there for two days for our annual fall grantmakers alliance conference and it was incredible. It not only was great to get to know two other co-workers better, but it always wonderful joining together with other grantmakers to learn. We all have so much passion, to harnass that in one building is just very moving. I know I came away with many great ideas to incorporate into my work and life in order to better the community. Some left the conference seeing their new tasks as more work, but to me and the rest of the staff that attended, we see everything as opportunities and are very excited for the work ahead!

What better way to start than to spend the next morning cleaning up the highway. A group of us literally put up the bright orange "Road Work Ahead" signs, put on our even brighter orange vests, and began picking up trash along the side of the road Saturday morning. It was a beautiful day and a great start to the day. Who wouldn't want to spend a nice fall day outside?....picking up trash ;)? Besides, I even found a nice present for my roommate! I know she appreciated the gift :).

I hope you had a wonderful weekend and are excited for the great opportunities that are just waiting for you to take hold of!

p.s. Great cap to the weekend...Bears win!

5 comments:

Jess said...

excited...definitely!!! it is so neat to see the plans that God has for our lives! Also, thanks for making the earth a better place to live...even though it was community service...JUST KIDDING EVERYONE!!! :) it was just volunteering! :) love you lots!

Alicia said...

Thanks for always being so willing to volunteer your time to help others! And now if you ever do have to do community service, you'll have some practice! :) HA! I'm glad you had a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

What a positive attitude, to see things as opportunities! I am interested to know what gift you got your roommate while picking up trash. I can only imagine!

Jason

jenn said...

ha ha jess and alicia...loved the community service comments! too funny! jason, i found my roommate a nice jeep item. just a plastic piece, probably off of a license plate holder, but the word "jeep" was still intact. i know she cherished the gift :). who doesn't like trash as a present?

Anonymous said...

Conferences are always energizing aren't they? I am leaving for one in NYC on Thursday and am looking forward to it. As you put it, I hope to come back with many opportunities. That was nice of you to think of your roommate while picking up trash. They do say, one man's trash is another man's treasure!