Tuesday, October 30, 2007

62+ Hours

I departed Friday night with a group of youth to Alabama! At the Foundation I have the priveledge of working with what is referred to as a youthpod. Our youthpod is known as PULSE of Noble County. The group of youth work together to serve the community, whether it be through grants or through their time...and talents. And discovering our talents was the theme of the retreat hosted by the Alabama youthpod. It was a weekend of wonderful speakers, of encouragement, of passion, of service, and growth.

Of course I lived on coffee the entire weekend as sleep was not an option, or wasn't really built into the agenda. But it was all worth it. It is always exciting to not only grow personally and learn, but to watch youth really begin to understand what they have to offer this world...how they can reach out to others. Many of you work with youth or have in the past, and know exactly what I am trying to say...to see them learn, to see them grow, to see their passion...there is nothing like it! Basically, the retreat was a wonderful opportunity to see people come together to learn how they can better serve others, and that was encouraging!

There are many moments I could share, the lessons learned, the messages spoken, but it was action that I will remember the most. Action! It was the time when we spread across Huntsville Alabama to serve. I visited Huntsville Hospital and worked with the foundation by making pillows for patients, and decorating pumpkins for the nurses stations. Delivering these items made many people smile and brought us into some really good conversations with the patients. There was a connection made between people, strangers, and that was just amazing.

The weekend ended too quickly as we collected our luggage and made our way to our buses for the long drive back, but I know the students from PULSE not only grew as a group, but individually. I know I came away with something new. I don't know exactly how our new knowledge will be used, but I know that we all will take what we have learned to reach out to others...

62+ hours of service and learning...and I'm ready to go...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems like you are always traveling. I wish I had such opportunities. Thank you for working with the youth. I hope you all use what you learned! Get some sleep!

Jason

Anonymous said...

Alabama is a beautiful state, but I bet it is even more interesting visiting with a group of youth. I can tell that you care about this group. Never stop learning!

Jess said...

great recap jenn!!! i can already tell how you are applying your talents and what you learned with the way you want to teach grace and tyler how to serve others. it is amazing and i just love that you can impact so many lives! great job! love you tons and tons and tons!

Alicia said...

Looks like you had a great weekend too! I'm so glad there are people like you in the world who are willing to take the time to teach others how to serve! There's nothing else like it :)