Thursday, October 04, 2007

To See...

I am driving to work and there it is. It is a figure in the distance. I know exactly what it is. As I get closer and closer it becomes more and more apparent that it is the man. It is the man I pass by every morning on my way to work. We do our quick waves to acknowledge each other. As I drive past, I look in my rear view mirror watching him continue to walk to his destination. Who is he? I don't know. I can only assume he is the farmer caring for the fields he is walking infront of. What is his name? I don't know. What is his life like? I don't know. Do I see him?

I am walking to my sister's house and there she is. The same neighbor I pass everytime I walk to my sister's house. She is always walking her dog Oliver. We have our "Hello, how are you doing? Good...and you? Good. The weather is beautiful isn't it? It sure is. Well, have a nice day. You too!" conversation and continue on our way. Who is she? I don't know. What is her name? I don't know. What is her life like? I don't know. Do I see her?

I have a friend who I see occassionally. We have a good time together, but don't seem to get passed the surface stuff. Who is she? I don't know. What is her name? That I know. What is her life like? I don't know. So do I really see her?

Who are the many others I miss seeing? Who needs help? Who needs love? Who needs a friend? Who needs fellowship? Who needs to be heard...to be seen? How many have I missed?

Even beyond that, how many times have I missed the greatness of God?

To See...

I am blinded by my selfishness, my own life. I am blinded by fear. I am blinded by distractions...all blinding me from what God is trying to show me.

To See...

After reading 2Kings 6:17 which states, And Elisha prayed, "O LORD, open his eyes so he may see." Then the LORD opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha." I prayed that the Lord open my eyes to see what He wants me to see. I prayed for assistance in removing the blinders that keep me focused on myself, that keep me from really seeing others, that keep me from really seeing His greatness, that keep me from really seeing...

To See...

Last night was the first choir practice for this season. We all joined together afterwards to enjoy some delicious pie and icecream. As we sat there talking, I saw an older gentleman who I wanted to get to know. So I left my table of people I knew, my comfort zone, and joined this gentleman at his table. There we talked and laughed and I listened...I saw him...I saw...

When I got home I didn't go inside, but instead walked down to the lake. I sat there for a moment to take in all that was around me, especially the massive sky full of many stars. I saw God's greatness...I saw...

To See...

Let my eyes and heart be open...to see...to see YOU!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this twice already and I will probably read it many more times. It opened my eyes to what I have been missing out on. What do I see? I see honesty. Thank you.

Jason

Michelle Marshall said...

Thank you for this post. I often think about this too - I walk by so many people on campus or at work and think "I wonder what their lives are like? I wonder what's on their hearts right now?" But I never stop to figure it out. Thanks for reminding me of what I really need to "see".

Jess said...

that was so neat!!! what a great point and great kick in the pants to get out there and meet people!!! thanks tons for sharing and for seeing me :)

love you tons and tons!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alicia said...

WOW!