Tuesday, October 09, 2007

What Is Beauty?

Where did we go wrong?...

I heard a co-worker of mine sharing how her daughter tells her of middle school girls who do not eat lunch because they don't want to eat infront of boys. So they are starving when they get home.

I heard a student the other day talking about how if someone is wearing an item of clothing, no one is "allowed" to buy it because the other person had it first.

I heard and stopped a group of kids laughing at a boy only because he had red hair.

and the list goes on...

I write because I am concerned. I write out of the sadness I feel for the youth growing up with the wrong idea of beauty...even my own idea of beauty which is blind sometimes. What are we teaching these children? We can blame society and the millions of messages and propaganda they encounter everyday, but where are we?...What are we saying?...What are we doing about it? Shouldn't we be examples, but we too sometimes get caught up in image. When did beauty = image?

I am lucky enough to be surrounded by children...children of friends...children of family. And as I watch them interact with the world around them, I just pray that they see beauty in all people and in everything...that they see beauty in themselves. Maybe by being surrounded with God's love and ours they will have the freedom to do that.

What is beauty to you...honestly...?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't really thought about beauty being more than the way a person looks, even though I know it is more than that. I don't know why I treat it that way. If I really think about it, beauty can't be boxed into characteristics or traits as beauty is different within each person. I wonder why this is the first time I really thought about this. If I really believe that beauty is undefineable, why am I always relating it to outward appearances or the way something looks? I seem to be contradicting myself.

Jason

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Beauty is all those things around us that remind us of God's love for us! Like the magnificent sunsets, the growth of new plants from seeds that fell from plants that died earlier this year, the innocent smile of a child - like in that picture of Grace!

Speaking of a picture of grace - I believe God has shown me a picture of grace in the way my husband loves me. He loves me even when I am depressed and don't seem to get anything done, he loves me even when I don't look my best, he loves me even when I am complaining or have a bad attitude. Sad to say, I don't always reciprocate the same unconditional love. I get angry when he doesn't do things the way I want him to, I fail at loving him just for who he is.

How much is that like my relationship with God sometimes. God chooses to love me unconditionally even when I don't act the way I should, or give him the respect and obedience he deserves, or when he does things differently than I would choose to do them!

I praise God for revealing to me how He loves me unconditionally and how he has given me a concrete and physical manifestation of His love when he gave me the gift of my husband! There is beauty in that!!!

May God reveal to you and everyone reading this post some concrete way that He Loves You Unconditionally! And may we all strive to love others unconditionally! That would be beautiful!!!

Jess said...

wow that is such a great post! beauty to me are in actions. beauty is revealed with the way people treat each other and respect each other. beauty is revealed with the way people show their love and concern for one another :) great post...it really got me thinking!!! love you tons and tons and tons!!!

jenn said...

jason, thanks for your comment and for your honesty, julie, your comment was just "beautiful", and sis, another great point. thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chad A. Loucks said...

Have you seen this video yet?

http://campaignforrealbeauty.co.uk/

I'm glad you are thinking through such things and are challenging others to do the same.