Monday, October 02, 2006

History...Wake Me Up Please...

I have definitely not been one to get excited about history. Occasionally there are a few past events or people that capture my attention, but for the most part, history does not excite me too much. This morning I came to a realization. While studying Joshua, I read the chapters that list in detail, and in length, the distribution of the land the Israelites controlled after the many battles they fought. Chapter after chapter and page after page were names I really couldn't pronounce...which makes it a bit difficult to understand, unless I made some sort of diagram. That is an idea actually, but not really where I am going with this post.

There are few people, such as myself, who enjoy reading the stories of miracles, love, forgiveness, sacrifice....the life of Christ. But when it comes to the nitty gritty parts of the Bible, the family lines and ancestry, the battles, the division of land, etc...I tend to begin to skim, hoping that when I turn the page I get past the "boring" part to an interesting story or adventure. But, I realized I have missed out on a lot by doing this.

I realized as I read the list of kings the Israelites defeated and I read about the division of land, that though I get confused and may not be able to really remember the names, that just as the "miracle" stories, this history is important! I learned about how the Israelites followed God's commands and instructions. I learned about their human fears and doubts. I learned that God delivered their enemies to them so that they may receive the land He had promised. I learned that God is faithful! I learned that God provides! I learned that the Bible is about more than miracles, and all the "interesting" stories, but about love, promises, and history that reveals the past, a past that helps us understand the present and the future!

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever

3 comments:

Jess said...

wow, amazing post!!! even though it reminds me how important the historic part of the bible is, it is important to keep in mind. I would the do the same as you do and skim over those parts. But, we need to learn the history so we can fully understand the miracles of God. So, I can't promise I will read thoroughly every part of the Bible, I will pause right before those historic passages, think about this blog, and hopefully continue reading :) Love you tons and tons and tons!

Angela said...

amazing post, once again.....oops, i just realized i used the same word as jess....great minds think alike! :)

Alicia said...

You are sooo smart! That is such an awesome way to look at the "boring" parts that I always skip too. I'm sure they were put in the Bible for a reason...but I still can't promise I'll read them! :) Thanks for the post!