Monday, September 25, 2006

Trust

Trust is such a difficult concept if you really think about it. Sometimes, like love, it is used too liberally...sometimes people just say it without really trusting. Sometimes I say it without really trusting. I don't know, it is just something I have been thinking about this past week. Mostly because I have an area of weakness that I need to face with trust. I have been working on really strengthening my faith...really being open to what God is teaching me, and really striving to give Him total control of my life. I have been learning about all the promises He has fulfilled in the past. I see the wonderful things He is doing in my life and in the world.

Yet, I still haven't been able to tithe.

Yes, through all that I have seen and experienced, I still hold on to my financial situation rather than trusting enough in Christ to give Him what is His. Thankfully, I have some wonderful friends who encourage me. They challenge me by reminding me that it is all about trusting God.

I have a friend who is a parent. And as a loving, caring, parent he/she worries about the safety and security of his/her child. Though I have no idea what it must feel like to be a parent and care for a child, I know that trust must be in Christ.

We all have areas in our life where we are weak in trusting in Christ. So I share this with you not only to hold myself more accountable, but as as a challenge.

How much do you trust God with?

One day, I hope my actions and my response to this question will be....EVERYTHING!

5 comments:

Dina said...

I will be praying for you because you know I totally relate to this area. I don't want to be too personaly on the internet, but I would love to talk and pray with you about this sometime. I love you oodles and goodles and obbles and gobbles!

Alicia said...

Jenn,
You are so wise to realize your weakness and to admit that to yourself, God, and others. I will be praying for you and asking God for a way to show you that if you do tithe, you will still have enough. I've never regretted tithing to the church and I've always had what I need. Love ya!

Jess said...

Jenn, that is a great great post!!! And that part about the parent...thank you :) What a great reminder that not tithing is a way of not trusting God with our finances. Thank you for sharing and for your encouragement and honesty!!! I learn something everytime I read this blog and that is truly a blessing! Love you tons and tons and tons!!!

Anonymous said...

being able to truly trust in God is the biggest step you have to take in your Christian walk. Tithing is simply giving to God what is his. We are only stewards, caretakers, of what is his. I know that your trust has been betrayed recently and so it is hard to learn to trust again. but remember, that humans are only that but God is totally trustworthy. I could tell you, and probably have, of some dire financial circumstances when all we had was our trust in the Lord. Holding back what is God's is saying, "I love you, Lord, but I can't give you what is yours because I might need it. I'll hold back just in case you don't come through like you promises." We'll be praying for you. Love you forever.

Angela said...

You are so amazing, Jenn!! First of all, I love how Alicia said, "I've never regretted tithing to the church..." How true! Wow--to think that when we give to the Lord, we don't regret it...ever!! Woohoo!! And God does always give us what we need! And "anonymous" was right on the money! :) God does promise us He'll take care of us...what a great thing! Love you sooooo much! ang:)