Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Change in Perspective



"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:16




365 days of creating a habit! 365 days of opening my heart! 365 days of being led by God and not my own desires! For those of you who might have done some investigative work into my past posts (Hint: October 2005) would have found that last year, at this time, I challenged myself. The challenge was to reach out to someone every day. To stop focusing on my own needs and wants but to change my "outlook" and actually see those around me, friends, family, strangers, and their needs...the ways I could help them...the ways I could be a servant rather than the one expecting to be served. It was last year that I realized that the goals I set for my life were based on ways for me to get praise and recognition when all praise goes to God, the One who works through us. I realized that the valuable thing my life could be used for is to touch just one heart...to truly reach out to someone so that they can see and feel the love of Christ.

Out of all the lessons I have learned this past year, the most important lesson has been that of faith and trust in Christ. Each day, He guided my heart and showed me all that I can do for others, with His help. I went into this challenge wondering how I could help others when I don't have many skills, talents, or even an understanding of how I could be used, but He prepared the way each day. Just wait and see...a simple phrase that has been a large part of this experience. Nothing I did throughout the year was planned. I put trust in God that He would show me those opportunities. I had to just wait and see. And it is amazing all I have seen.

I have kept a journal each day of the ways that I reached out to others and as I flip through the pages, I can't do anything but give all the credit to the One who works through me.

It has been 365 days and that is something to celebrate! I know I built up your expectations for this post and sincerely hope you have not been let down, but this year has been amazing. This challenge has been such a large part of my days and something I just had to share with you.


I know a year isn't a long time, and the acts I have done have been small, but I will continue striving to look outside myself every day and reach out to those around me. I will continue trusting in Christ knowing that He is guiding me. I will do all that I can to continue fighting my own selfishness to have a servant heart. And hopefully, one day, God will use me to reach that one heart.

One year down and a lifetime to go!

8 comments:

Jess said...

Jenn, I can't begin to explain how proud of you I am! For letting God work in your life! I can totally see a transformation and I know I have been one of those you have helped throughout this past year! You touch so many hearts and I am so blessed to have you in my life! Continue to let God lead you, because he has mighty and wonderful plans for you! I love to see each one of them unfold in your life :) Thank you Jenn, thank you for sharing from your heart...and...thank you for sharing your heart! Love you tons and tons!!!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome blog you have! You don't know me, but I enjoy reading about your journey. Stay strong and keep serving! Great job!

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it! I am going through a divorce at this time and I don't have the outlook that you do. I guess it is time to redirect my focus! ~Susan

Dina said...

Tears . . . nuf said! I know that each day of you being in my life is a HUGE blessing. I am honored to call you friend and roomie! I love you lots and treasure the example of Christ that you are to myself and so many others! Love ya oodles of noodles!

Anonymous said...

Wow! what an amazing year you have had. I'm so thankful that I've gotten to know you and your servant heart better in the past year as well. It is so awesome that you set a goal for yourself and stuck to it. What a great example for us all.

Scott, Melanie, Gretchen said...

Great Job Jenn! How touching to hear your words. I hope and pray that you have been an example to others. May God Bless you.
Melanie

Alicia said...

Wow! That is awesome. God has such great plans for us if we just let him take over. I'm very proud of you! You have been a great blessing in my life. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you Jenn. Sounds like you've grown a great deal! Good for you!