Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Respect

What an amazing trip to New York. It was a trip filled with community service, site seeing, and just a lot of realizations. After a 16 hour train ride with 9 youth and 3 other adults, we finally arrived to NYC hauling our bags on and off the subway, through busy streets, until we finally reached our hostel. After taking a few minutes to freshen up, we headed to Time Square. And that was the beginning of our trip. From then on the kids spent the next few days looking up at the tall buildings, taking pictures of everything that they could...statues, buildings, lights, street performers, subway trains, everything that they were amazed to see. It was fun for me to see the amazement in their eyes and to hear them talking about all that they have experienced. But, for me, out of everything we saw, it was the community service and the group I was with that made my second trip to NYC unbelievable. We went with a purpose, not just to see NYC, but to serve. And that is what we did. The memories I will carry with me are of the homeless man I gave food to, the mittens I sewed (yes, I actually sewed mom ;), and the many other youth from FYI that we visited in order to learn about their philanthropic efforts throughout the city. It was great to see other youth outside of our own county, our own state, helping others and making a difference because they want to...to see that passion was just inspiring and actually brought about a feeling of hope. All in all the trip was about respect...respect for each other...respect for our communities...and respect for the world we live in.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Awesome post Jenn! What a great opportunity for you and great pictures as always! The recap is perfect! Thank you for not mentioning all the amazing food you had...nope..not jealous at all..ok a little :) Even though I missed you so so so much...I thank God for this opportunity in your life! And I thank him for bringing you home safely too :) Love you tons and tons!!

Dina said...

WOO HOO! I want to hear all the details (but you have to stay awake long enough to tell me! Hahaha!) I am glad you had a great experience and that you returned home safely.

Anonymous said...

Hello. I just came across your blog and all I can say is that I am thankful that there are people like you who are beautiful inside and out leading and guiding the youth of the world.

Jason