Sunday, September 21, 2008

Will You Starve...?

I just had a tremendous weekend of awakening. I was blessed to celebrate the wedding of the Sanders' as they had a reception here in Indiana though they live in Utah. Saturday, of course, was the Apple Festival in Nappanee followed by some great time with my niece and nephew. I even get a call from a great friend letting me know how she thought she just saw me and that she was thinking of me. Seriously, it was a weekend that filled me with happiness. But the world is not as blessed as I am, as we are.

This morning, I saw the words, "Will you starve That They Be Better Fed?"

It is International Day of Prayer for Peace and I can't help but examine my life, the opportunities I have... to eat whatever I want whenever I want, to be lazy and watch football, to spend quality time with friends...to... I wonder how many times my wants and desires have taken away from others...how many times I got something and ended up hurting someone else in the process just because I wanted "it"...how many times I put myself above others.

Isn't that all at the heart of fighting with others, hating others, hurting others. Doesn't that lead to the destruction of others? Have I built others up? Have I showed others love?

We prayed for peace today.

I listened to a gentleman share his story of being a conscientious objector during the time of war. He chose to use his service to better a life. He was actually a part of the Great Starvation Experiement which was a controlled dietary experiment in which he was fed 1000 calories and expended 3200 calories a day. All to help understand the best way to rehabiliate those in other countries who are starving. You know he got my attention, as he willingly gave up food.

He wanted to build up others...

We prayed for peace today, and I prayed for an open heart to remember the effects of my actions, the love God fills me with to share with all, the peace that comes from life lived as He has commanded.

What is your prayer?
Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.

6 comments:

Jess said...

what a neat story! you are so right. how easy it is to become selfish with our gifts, our blessings, and our time. thank you for sharing this post with all of us :) also, thanks for taking time today to clean up a highway with the pulse kids :) love you lots!!!

Angela said...

You are an amazing woman of God!
Love ya!
ang :)

Anonymous said...

I love how you share the things that make an impression on you. You aren't content to keep it to yourself. Thank you.

Oh, and speaking of starving...
Sure could use my crockpot. Ha! (Clay told me to say that) :)

Ponz, Lil Ponz, Real Lil Ponz and Baby Ponz said...

Jenn - You are in my prayers as you are truely a peacemaker of God. Blessings to you this week.

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

How do you do that Jenn? Happiness and conviction just exhudes from you. Is it exhude a word? It is now, I declare. Webster-did you get that?
Anyway,
I look up to you so much. You rock.
Love, me.

Alicia said...

Wow, that story is pretty crazy. It is so easy to not even be thankful for the daily blessings. I read a story to my students today about being greedy and most of them didn't know what greedy meant. Probably because we are all greedy and don't even realize it! :)
See ya tonight!