Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Watipasya! - Malawi/Zambia Trip Part 1

And so I begin sharing the wonderful details of this past trip to Malawi and Zambia...

It was incredible how quickly this trip began coming together. God had a plan and it was going to happen! After my trip to Malawi last year, one of the things that was noticed was the need for some business knowledge for those working on their own business projects. In my report I shared this, hoping that something could be done. Definitely not thinking this teacher would be me. But several months ago, I was asked to put together a training on simple business concepts to teach to the individuals LifeNets has funded. As much as I couldn't wait to return to Malawi, I was hesitant on how I could be the one to teach. Many of you know how nervous I get speaking in front of others.

Watipasya!

But LifeNets provided me with some material, and so I worked to put something together. I shared it with them, it was approved, and the trip planning began. LifeNets also works in Zambia, and I also was interested in visiting this cattle project that I had heard so much about. Therefore, Zambia was added to the schedule as well.

Watipasya!

I set off on June 12th and arrived in Malawi on the 14th, Zambia on the 25th, returning home on the 30th. Throughout the trip, I spent my time teaching, but also learning. And one of the things I learned about was...Watipasya!

Watipasya is actually a middle name of one of the gentlemen I met. But I found out that the meaning of the name was "God has given us". How fitting is that for describing this journey? God has given us the opportunity to share what we know and have with others. God has given us the opportunity to learn from others. God has given us the opportunity to show His love so others can see Him. God has given us the opportunity to understand what true service is about. And God has given us the opportunity to trust completely in Him.

I know I reflected on this throughout my travels...taking in all God has made, all He has given...


Watipasya!

More to come....

3 comments:

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these pictures. I wish I could just sit down with you right now and see the expressions on your face as you share your stories! Awesome, Awesome. What is the African word for "awesome"? I'm gonna guess it rhymes with watipasya...

Victor Kubik said...

Thank you, Jennifer, for making such wonderful posts! All the comments that we have heard about your from Africa have been absolutely wonderful. The effect you had on the various groups cannot be fully expresseed. We have talked on the phone to the Salawilla's, Wordsworth, Dr. Chilopora and more. Thank you! Looking forward to talking to you.

Vic

Jess said...

Jenn, what a beautiful post and what a beautiful word!!! you sure can capture the meanings of things in the coolest ways!!! love you tons!