Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Serving With Humility - Malawi/Zambia Trip Part 3

I have known people who serve to be noticed. They do it to be able to say, "look at me". They talk about all THEY can do for others. Somehow the act of service becomes about them. Oh, how easy it is to fall into that mindset.

I remember even as soon as I stepped off the plane, being treated almost "honorable". I appreciated this gracious kindness and display of thanks, but I soon had to work on finding the balance of accepting their graciousness to some level as to not offend anyone, but humble myself. It wasn't about me. I was glad to be there and be able to assist in some way, but I didn't want to be seen or praised in any way. We all know that such praise only belongs to God. He should be seen.

There is a wonderful tradition in the African countries of washing hands before and after eating. Instead of rushing to the bathroom to wash our hands in the sink. A bowl and pitcher of water is brought to the table. Someone pours the water for you over the bowl as you wash your hands. They serve you. There are even moments where women will get on their knees as they help you wash your hands. I love this tradition. I was reminded of how prideful we can become. We stand so high and mighty, blocking the view of God who is there with us. But as we kneel, He is seen. I went to serve. I am not better than anyone. I can't do anything alone, for it is God who works through me. To be humble, allows His work to be done...to lift up others...to show His love.

In my last presentation the floor was open for any questions or contributions. A woman began to speak. What did she say? She shared her thanks to God for providing education and support. That is what it is about! That is where the thanks and praise belongs!

More to come...

5 comments:

Jessica said...

wow jenn, you are pumping out the posts. :) i'm sure you are so excited to share what you've learned and experienced. you are such a humble, talented, loving person and it's so evident in your thoughts as you reflect. thanks for sharing your lessons...they are great reminders and encouragement. can't wait to read the next one...

jackie said...

great post jenn!

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

Aww. This brought tears to the eyes. I love the picture of her pouring water over his hands.

Sarah said...

Humility...that is something I need to work on. You are a woman of humility and God is reflected through you! Thank you for sharing your heart with us! Love ya lots!!!

Jess said...

This is amazing!!! It reminds me of the love feast at church...which is very cool...but also to kneel and let God get all the glory...He deserves every bit! Great pictures and lovely illustrations! love you tons!