Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Lessons 101 - Malawi/Zambia Trip Part 2


As I mentioned in the previous post, the goal of this trip was to educate individuals on how to maintain their businesses. I worked on keeping it simple, as the only way for this information to be beneficial is if it is understandable. So I taught about understanding your customers, planning and anticipating, financial management, and most importantly the idea of mentoring and helping each other. The presentations went well. And I spent the rest of the time visiting various projects such as tailoring shops, hardware sales, grocery sales, salons, farms, clinics, nursery schools, poultry farms, maize mills, music schools, and even a couple wells. In Zambia, I spent a couple days in the bush teaching and learning about farming maize and cattle raising. I hope that the information I shared was beneficial, because all that I learned from these beautiful people is priceless.

I experienced the strength of family. Several visits were made to families who were facing the struggles of sickness, disease, and pain. I remember walking into one house listening as they carried out the feable woman, placing her in a chair to visit with us. I saw her pain and how frail she was. She was barely able to keep her head up. I remember visiting another family of a man who had a stroke. He was unable to move his legs, but was brought out by other family members who cared for him and who were glad to see him smile. In all these visits, family was there. They were there to help ease the pain. They were there to help move the weak family member. They surrounded and cared for the one who was sick. And we prayed for each one of them. There is strength in family!

I learned that competition exists everywhere! I remember the time I just finished explaining the importance of sharing what you know and what you learn with others. Help others. Teach them and work together. As I finished, a gentleman raised his hand to express his thanks for that lesson. He explains that in Malawi, there are many "Ph.d's". Ph.d = "pull him down" or "pull her down". With the many struggles they face on a daily basis, just trying to survive, to support their families, they fear that by helping someone else, that person would take away business. A great discussion took place, and they began to understand how things can get better by working together...creating stronger economies and communities outside of family units. I think it is something we all need to be reminded about. What can you share with others? How can we work together?

And I learned the meaning of service, to be explained in more depth later. I went to teach, but was open to all that I could learn. These are just a few of my thoughts during and after my trip. Ideas I just wanted to share with you.

More to come...

3 comments:

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

Wow. I feel like that doesn't quite express what I'm really feeling, but it will have to suffice. Amazing stories.
Do most of them speak english? Or did you have an interpretor? Will you be able to get a recap, several months from now, telling you the progress of how they are doing? I just love this. :)
And now, I'm also thinking you might be on a mission trip, to my house, to teach my son about sharing...

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I am loving hearing about your experiences, and the nuggets of truth and reminders of how to love people, in families, business, all over the world. Keep the pictures and stories coming!!

Jess said...

It is amazing to hear how our competitive nature is found everywhere...even in the poorest of countries. To not work together for fear of them taking over your business is such a sadness that has unfortunately affected so many people! I am so proud of you for working with others and sharing your gifts! love you tons!!!