Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Gift That Isn't Always Easy

Part of selling a house means cleaning it up. So last night I was working in the garden...trying to cut down the insanely over grown mulberry bushes. I believe that is what they are. If not, then they probably are named something like the most annoying plant that grows as big as trees and takes over wherever it wants to. That seems to fit the description well :)! The weather was a little iffy and I found myself working through a few rain showers, but they were light so I kept on pushing through. Slowly, but surely, the garden was cleared out...as best as I could get it. It wasn't easy work by any means...but it needed to be done. It led to some great conversation with neighbors and just a wonderful quiet time to think and listen.

Afterwards, I collapsed on my couch completely exhausted but with a sense of accomplishment. I realized that by taking it one step at a time, I cleared out the brush. And underneath the weeds were three tulips, almost smothered by the overgrown bushes, but they now have the space to grow. Later that night I was studying Numbers, and came across the following scripture.

Numbers 18:5-7
"You are to be responsible for the care of the sanctuary and the altar, so that wrath will not fall on the Israelites again. I myself have selected your fellow Levites from among the Israelites as a gift to you, dedicated to the LORD to do the work at the Tent of Meeting. But only you and your sons may serve as priests in connection with everything at the altar and inside the curtain. I am giving you the service of the priesthood as a gift. Anyone else who comes near the sanctuary must be put to death."

A gift. It is a gift to be called by God. It is a gift to serve Him. It isn't always easy though. How many times have we hesitated? How many times have we been too fearful? How many times have we said, "I just can't do it." I read of how my sis (check out her blog - link to the right) is spending time with each of her children individually. God has blessed her with the gift of being a mother. He has called her to raise her kids in His love. And sometimes it isn't easy to find special time. Sometimes it would be easier just to say, "I will do it later." But she doesn't. After a busy day of work, and late nights cleaning the house or working outside, she still makes time to love her children...to show them how special they are to her and to teach them the Word of God.

Just like the garden which needed to be weeded to help sell the house in order to enter the mission field, or just like making time to show God's love by spending special time with the children in our lives, we are each called to serve. Are you afraid of a little hard work? Are you ready to accept your gift of service? What is God calling you to do?

It isn't alway easy, but what a gift it is!

4 comments:

Dina said...

Thanks for this. It was nice to hear. I love the outside and the rain was a blessing. You are a huge blessing too. (and the garden looks great!) Love you!

Jess said...

jenn, you did an INCREDIBLE job with that garden :) and the name of the trees just cracked me up!! you are being so productive not to mention how faithful you are to sell everything and follow God! i am seriously impressed! thank you for your sweet words! it truly helps to spend time with my children when you have great support from a husband and a sister!!! love you tons and tons!!

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

yes. I'm afraid of a little hard work. I'm a wimp. emphasis on the wimp.
but now that you've gone and been so convicting maybe I will get off my bum and do something. but i'm not weeding my garden. thank goodness I don't have one.

Alicia said...

Yeah Jenn! Sometimes things are so overwhelming that you don't even know where to start. Just take one step at a time and everything will get done! Or if it doesn't, oh well, it wasn't meant to be done in the first place! :)