Friday, March 28, 2008

Together with Christ

Yesterday was a busy day for me at work. I have been trying to catch up on some projects that have been put off due to an influx of proposals this grant cycle. And I had a few meetings with some potential grantees to learn more about their programs. I decided I needed a break and took some time to visit a local free medical clinic to learn more about this organization and what it's needs might be.

It was a pretty dreary day outside, and the wind was tossing my jeep around quite a bit. I was trying to relax a little and change my attitude around as I had been feeling a bit overwhelmed. I pulled up to the clinic and stepped inside and was instantly greeted with a warm smile and a invitiation to come on back to speak with someone.

How warm and comforting that was. How welcomed I felt. As I explained who I was and why I was there, I noticed that each person who came through the door was welcomed in such a friendly manner. Patients who had come in to see a doctor filled the waiting room and were treated with kindness and compassion.

I continued to learn more about the clinic and how it has been blessed by the number of volunteers that give of their time, that donate supplies. I learned of a doctor who is retired, but spends most of his time volunteering at free clinics around northern Indiana. I met a pastor who showed me their one examination room, their small space for an old computer to keep records, etc...but did it with such gratitude and praise to God that they had what they had and that they could help others.

I didn't see a clinic, but the family of Christ working together to serve others. I saw hope in the eyes of the patients.

I have been studying Numbers lately. As I read Numbers 11, I began to see the idea of community. Numbers 11:10-17 states, Moses heard the people of every family wailing, each at the entrance to his tent. The LORD became exceedingly angry, and Moses was troubled. He asked the LORD, "Why have you brought this trouble on your servant? What have I done to displease you that you put the burden of all these people on me? Did I conceive all these people? Did I give them birth? Why do you tell me to carry them in my arms, as a nurse carries an infant, to the land you promised on oath to their forefathers? Where can I get meat for all these people? They keep wailing to me, 'Give us meat to eat!' I cannot carry all these people by myself; the burden is too heavy for me. If this is how you are going to treat me, put me to death right now—if I have found favor in your eyes—and do not let me face my own ruin." The LORD said to Moses: "Bring me seventy of Israel's elders who are known to you as leaders and officials among the people. Have them come to the Tent of Meeting, that they may stand there with you. I will come down and speak with you there, and I will take of the Spirit that is on you and put the Spirit on them. They will help you carry the burden of the people so that you will not have to carry it alone.


We are not alone. But more importantly, God is the provider of our needs. He didn't call us and then leave us. He calls us, prepares us, and provides for us. Each one of us, in some way are called to serve. And together, filled with the Holy Spirit and love, we can fulfill God's will.

6 comments:

Dina said...

Two great posts. Thanks for opening yourself up more and more and sharing the lessons that God teaches you. I know I don't always comment, but I truly look forward to every new post you put on here. Love you oodles of noodles, but not poodles. D

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

Hey you're in Numbers now! Keep me posted on that and the things you learn.
I laugh when I hear that you are in my area doing this and that and I never see you. Someday we'll just have to hook up. :) :)

Sarah said...

GREAT post Jenn! Thanks for sharing! :) I FINALLY have a blog going (sort of) aren't you proud! :)

Alicia said...

Oh Jenn, that post brought tears to my eyes as I got an opportunity to put things in perspective. Doesn't it seem that those that have the least are the most thankful for it? What a neat opportunity to see how the grant money could be spent!

Jess said...

what an opportunity and an attitude adjustment for all readers! really puts things in perspective! really needed that :) love ya tons!...oh and nice picture...that was an old one :)

Ponz, Lil Ponz, Real Lil Ponz and Baby Ponz said...

Jenn - I tagged you. Looking forward to learning more about you!