Thursday, March 27, 2008

They Know All...Right?

Okay, so maybe I am not one to talk about the topic of parenting. I definitely don't have any children of my own. Although I have taken care of two cats before, but it probably doesn't really compare to being a parent.

The title of "parent" to me seems to give some kind of connotation that they should know all. Maybe because of 18 years of life we count on them for pretty much everything...basic necessities, guidance, love. For most of us, they are the ones we turned to or still turn to.

I hear those around me wonder if they will be good parents, what to do in certain parenting situations, or just how they are going to handle all that they may face raising a family. It is a big responsibility and many don't feel qualified. Maybe that is why my expectations for my own parents has been pretty high. And then when something I don't expect happens or a disagreement takes place, I am shocked. But why?

Aren't parents just as human as I? Don't they face challenges in their own life? Don't they sometimes struggle to know what to do in certain situations? Don't they seek love as well as give it? I believe parents do the best they can, and with the guidance of God, are able to raise children with good values, to love them abundantly, and to teach them all that they know.

Does the task of parenting ever stop? Probably not. It does change though. The love and support continues to be shared, but needs change...past the give and take scenarios, but to the building of a true relationship...one of respect, appreciation, and above all else...love.

So to my parents I want to say that I love you...not because you are the "all-knowing parents", but because you are simply, you.

Deuteronomy 4:9
Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.

3 comments:

jackie said...

As a parent, I can assure you that parents certainly don't know it all. However, as a child, it seems like they are full of knowledge (and seriously, my kids are convinced that I have eyes in the back of my head!). However, parents are absoultely as human as everyone else. Children often deliver humble pie on a plate to their parents, and I've never been driven to prayer as often as since I've had children. They are such a blessing and learning experience all in one. I often feel compelled to apologize to my own parents for all of the grief that I caused them over the years, yet I'm often also compelled to tell them "thank you" for all of their love and support. Once you're a parent, you truly understand the sacrafice and effort that goes into such an undertaking! What a tremendous responsiblity and gift from the Lord!

Alicia said...

Wow, Jenn. What a heartfelt post! I take it your meeting with them went well! ;)

Jess said...

That was so nice Jenn! Love you tons!