Monday, January 21, 2008

Unlocked Doors

Those who I am close with know the paradox I face in regards to entering the mission field long term. And that paradox was confirmed last night as I listened to the Hardenbrooks share their own story as they begin their journey to Sudan. The excitement and passion fills their hearts, but to say goodbye to their family and friends is a challenge, a struggle at times. Yet, through it all, they know it is what they are called to do and that God has and will continue to provide that strength.

Throughout their presentation they made a call for others to join them in this journey. And my heart was filled with hope. I listened intently, eager to learn more about the initiative, and anxious to consider this an opportunity.

But taking that next step means putting things in motion. It is no longer a thought, a dream, a desire...something to face down the road. Instead, it is about the present...moving forward knowing that no matter how challenging the path might be, God is with me and I am not alone.

I sat there going back and forth about whether I should talk to them about my interest in being a part of this initiative. And at the moment that I began to let my fear in taking this step get to me, a member of my church family approached me to let me know that he thought of me during this presentation and has been praying for my guidance. And then another member informed me that he and his wife have been praying for me and that they were so glad to see that I came to hear this presentation. What struck me is that none of these members knew of my desire to enter the mission field, and yet they prayed for me.

So I approached the Hardenbrooks to share my interest. They were very grateful and asked for my contact information. They even provided some great advice on where to attend some mission trainings. I will continue to pray for guidance. And whether God leads me to Sudan or another part of Africa, I trust in Him. I took that next step.



I do struggle at times discerning God's call, but have learned that He does not do it all for us. He unlocks the doors and it is up to us to have the faith to open them.

6 comments:

Jess said...

that is so AMAZING! i prayed for you last night as I did my bible study for the evening and was really hoping that you would take that step! tears fill my eyes right now to know that the day will come when i won't be able to see you everyday, but I know I can't be selfish and I need to share you with the rest of the world...and I know God will give us both the strength to be apart from each other. Yet it is so hard for me :) And I know that you will be missed by so many others! But what an amazing impact you will make! Not just in the lives of us here in Indiana, but in other countries...amazing! And I am so very very proud of you! The statement below gives me all the hope I need :)

"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not
protect you"

Love you tons and tons!

Anonymous said...

It brings tears to my eyes knowing how much of a struggle it must be to leave your family and friends to follow your heart. I know how close you and your sister are... But it also confirms to me that you are doing what God desires of you... that step of faith to obedience is always a hard one (one I struggle with every day - trying to figure out the next step, trying to figure out what God really wants out of my life). But you must remember that wherever you go God will provide you friends and "family" to support you, help you, watch out for you... he has in the past and he will in your future. God Bless You wherever you go, and know that you are loved!!

Alicia said...

Jenn, I am so proud of you! You are a wonderful example of God's love and I know you are meant to share that love with others. It may be here, it may be there. The hard part is trusting enough to know where it is God will lead you. He will provide for you and I pray that he provides the opportunity and you know which one to take. Of course, we would all miss you greatly, but God's calls aren't always easy! Love you lots!!

Jessica said...

what an exciting time in your life this must be. you are such an example in following God's plan even when it may take you out of the comfort zone that you have in your friends, current job, family, etc. know i will be praying for you...for wisdom, guidance, and faith to follow whatever it may be that is ahead of you!

Dina said...

Wow! Way to put yourself out there and be vulnerable to God's direction and calling. You are ALWAYS in my prayers and I am just down the hall if you ever need me. Love you oodles of Ramen noodles!

Angela said...

Ditto to eveything Dina said (exactly the words I was going to write) (minus the down the hall part) :) I had chills reading this (good chills)
:)