Monday, September 17, 2007

The First Sleep Over...

Okay, I admit it. I am probably not the first person anyone calls to watch their children. Not because I don’t like to or anything, but I am definitely not one of those ladies that knows a lot about raising children and just haven’t even begun thinking about such a responsibility…maybe that is just the stage of life I am in right now. But I absolutely love being an aunt. I get to see them everyday. I get to be the one who spoils them and lets them get away with things their parents might be a little strict on…shhh…Jess and Amos, skip over this part ;). But they have a piece of my heart and always will. I love to hear them laugh. I love to see them smile. I just love them...and so drum roll please….

I watched them both Saturday night so that Amos and Jess could go to his 10-year high school reunion. The decision wasn’t easy because to be honest I was a bit nervous. Could I handle both a five-month old and two and a half year old? I figured if Amos and Jess trusted me enough to watch both kids, then why not. So I accepted and even invited the two and a half year old to spend the night. I figured she was old enough to enjoy a sleep over with her favorite aunt.

And that is exactly what we did! It was a girls night, well once Tyler went to sleep. First, I must say, Tyler was great…pretty much ate and slept…what five-month old babies typically do. He must have known to take it easy on his favorite aunt.

While he was sleeping, Grace and I had the ultimate sleep over. I am talking, running around the house, football playing, pizza and junk food eating, cookie baking, movie watching, dancing, nail painting, stay up until early morning (yeah, church was the next morning…probably not too smart, but hey, I’m the fun aunt ;) sleep over. This will definitely become an annual event!
I of course documented this momentous evening with a few photos…enjoy!


And the junk food feast begins...with cheetos!

Followed shortly by pizza of course

Of course we had to mix it all around by playing football and
jumping on the bed
Dancing to Life is a Highway!
That worked up our appetite for some cookies!
Which we enjoyed right before bed ;)!

Bed time being after midnight as we had to paint our nails and watch Cars!
It was just a special night for Grace and me. We had some wonderful quality time together as we spent the night just making each other laugh. She is a special person and I hope I can teach her so much as she grows up...maybe not how to eat so much junk food all the time and stay up late every night ;)...but just how I will always be there for her...that I will always love her...and just how special she is.

6 comments:

Jess said...

jenn...that post was so fun to read!! i know this will be one that i will read over and over again. the pictures capture the night perfectly and i am so excited that you share such a deep love for gracie and tyler. because they sure love you!! the sleep over ideas rocked and she had a blast...of course she was tired the next day, but hey...hooray for a longer nap :) thanks for being so awesome and taking care of the kids while amos and i went out...you are a true blessing! love you tons and tons!!

Dina said...

Love it! And I actually knwo what you mean about being an aunt. It is pretty much the coolest thing ever! Aunts rock! Love you!

Anonymous said...

You are a great aunt!

Greg L.

Alicia said...

Oh my goodness. Looks like you all had a blast!! I'm glad you took the leap of faith to watch both kids. It's not as hard as you think...although I certainly would never want to be a single mom. Those women are amazing!! I'm sure the kids had a wonderful time too. I bet Grace is asking when she can do it again! :P

Angela said...

So fun to read about!! Looks like you had a great time...I wish my bro lived closer so when his little one comes I could spend as much time with him/her as you get to with Grace and Tyler. You are an awesome aunt!! And an awesome person! Love ya!

Michelle Marshall said...

It sounds like you had a great time with the kids!! I bet Grace can't wait to stay over again. Have a great week!