Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Provider

When was the last time you doubted you could do something you were asked to do? When was the last time you said no to something because you didn't think you had the skills necessary to accomplish the task set before you successfully? Maybe it was in your career setting or in your family setting. Maybe it was an opportunity that you let pass by.

I have been studying 1Kings and when reading the first part of chapter 3, I learned of how Solomon asked for a discerning heart when the LORD appeared to him during the night in a dream, and said, "Ask for whatever you want me to give you." Now, I have heard this scripture before and am still impressed that out of everything he could have asked for, that Solomon asked for a discerning heart. But it was verse 7, that really caught my attention.

1Kings 3:7 states, "Now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties." Now, I don't know how young Solomon really was, but I am positive he was quite young...quite young to govern a great number of people. Even at age 27 I would not feel prepared enough to be in such a position.

What amazed me is that here is this young boy, chosen to govern a numerous body of people in place of David. I didn't see hesitation, but noticed humbleness. For he admits that he is young and does not have what he needs to accomplish the task in front of him. Yet though he lacks what is needed, he doesn't run, but instead asks for God to provide it. God blesses him with this request and much more.

Why is it so easy to forget that we are not called to face things alone, but with the strength, power, and love of God. God loves! God blesses! God provides!

4 comments:

Jess said...

Great post Jenn!! It is so easy to get caught up in excuses and fear and miss out on the opportunities God puts in front of us. Thank you tons for the reminder that we need to trust in God because He is our provider and equips us with all that we need! Great post! Love you tons and tons and tons!

Anonymous said...

Great entry pretty lady!

Greg L.

Anonymous said...

He is a provider! Thanks for sharing with us. I always enjoy your posts.

Jason

Alicia said...

Nice job, Jenn! It is easy to forget that we're not supposed to live life on our own. God will always provide no matter what! The hard part is pushing our pride aside and asking for it!!