Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Take a Walk WITH Me...

Well, I am back from Argentina, and I had an amazing time. Still trying to pull it all together and organize the photos I took, but it was just a wonderful opportunity to see a beautiful country with some good friends. Keep your eyes open for a future post on this experience and a bunch of pictures. But before I do that, I wanted to share something with you, something that I learned during my recent travels.

Story:
In Buenos Aires, we did a lot of walking. Sarah, Kelly, and I definitely got our exercise in. As we were walking, there were times where we had to walk in a single line and sometimes I would walk behind them, just looking around and taking pictures of course as they talked about Argentina or some people they knew back home. Most of the time I missed out on their conversations....the traffic was loud, there were distractions all around me, and I just didn't pay attention. It was difficult to hear what they were saying while I was behind them or even in front of them.

Scripture:
While reading Genesis, I came to the following verse, Genesis 6:9 which states, "This is the account of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God". Noah was a righteous man. He walked with God...with!!!...not in front or behind.

Thoughts:
I thought of the times in my life where I believed I was walking "with" God, but really I wasn't. There were those times were I was so comfortable with my life and became so confident, that I began to take charge and try to walk faster than God, trying to lead my own way and in my own time, and sometimes thinking, if I fall, He is there behind me to catch me. Other times in my life, I have been nervous about the next step in my life that instead of walking "with" God, I slowly let him walk ahead of me, hiding behind Him, not confident in His strength, wisdom, and faithfulness. Either way, I missed what He was trying to say to me. Have I ever really walked "with" God? Have I walked with Him as friends walk together, side by side, as I walk with someone I respect, side by side, as I walk with someone I love, side by side?

Have you?


2 comments:

Jess said...

Wow great post!! Walking with God is such an easy concept but can be harder than one would expect. You were right on with walking in front or behind. But walking with God is by far the best...just like walking with a best friend...or a sis :) Love ya tons and tons!

Alicia said...

YEAH!! So glad you're back! Can't wait to hear about it. But until then...great post. I love your insights into your spiritual journey!