Monday, March 19, 2007

I've Got Rhythm...I've Got Music...

I've Got Rhythm...I've Got Music...definitely great lyrics from the Gershwin song that really describes the night for many of the participants on Saturday night... and for others, specifically the students, they learned a step or two. Saturday night, Kendallville was filled with the sound of a live jazz band playing all of the favorites, the sound of dancers on the floor, and the sound of clapping, singing, and good conversations among those who just sat back and observed those who were dancing.

You see, Saturday night, the PULSE group (a youth philanthropic group I work with at the Foundation) held their second annual senior citizens prom, "Rhythm of the Night". It was another successful event complete with dinner and dancing...door prizes...not to mention we even announced a king and queen, done by random drawing of course.

The youth mingled with the seniors that attended and asked many to dance. Some of the students had rhythm, while others struggled just a bit but continued to work at it in order to make the dance enjoyable for their partner, but both enjoyed themselves. We saw some couples who showed us exactly how swing, the waltz, the cha cha, and even the polka were done as they covered the floor with their graceful moves. It was four wonderful hours of music and conversation. I thank God for the amazing connection that took place, for the relationships we built, and for the opportunity to just spend time with each other. As the participants left, they expressed their excitement for next year, letting us know that they had been waiting for this all year and will do the same next year. I call that a success!

And of course I took pictures...enjoy!

3 comments:

Angela said...

That is so great! I love the concept and I'm glad you got to be a part of it! Sounds like a blast!

Jess said...

Great recap!! I loved the stories you shared with me and the passion that you and the kids have for this event is amazing!! It really looks like a blast and it looks like EVERYONE enjoys it!! Great job and love you tons!

Lee and Becca said...

Aw that is such a cute idea! And it looks like everyone had such a great time. Thanks for checkin' in on my blog and posting! Hope you are having a great week.