Monday, January 29, 2007

The Light in My Life

Many of you know how important light is to me. I love candles! And I love to turn the lights on as soon as it gets just a little dark in my house. But that is just me! There is just something about light to me. It is safe. It is warm. It is revealing. A couple of nights ago I began to realize that lately, just as the days of sunlight seem to be getting shorter, so has the light in me. It has gotten dimmer and dimmer. It is gradually being covered by stress at work, by little frustrations here and there, by laziness, by selfishness, by life’s challenges. But it is still there, trying to shine bright enough to lead me to where I need to be, to where my focus needs to be. That light in me is like the whisper of God. It is that simple touch that is clear when I am silent and only listening, when my focus is once again on the only thing that matters…my relationship with Christ and what I can do for Him.

My relationship with Christ is a personal relationship, but there are those around me who do help that light shine brighter.
My niece laughs and I know that only God could create something so beautiful. My Bible study group teaches me.
My friends surround me.
My parents encourage me.
My sister asks how my scripture study is going, reminding me that I shouldn’t keep putting it off. And so I take the time to open the Bible and read.

I start studying Genesis. And God reaches me with one simple verse, reminding me to clear that clutter in my life to hear him, to let that light in me burn bright once again. I read, Genesis 1:3-5, “And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.” The first day, God created light. He created hope.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Another great thought! Thanks, I needed that! love you!

Jess said...

That is perfect!! Your thoughts are amazing and your growth is even more amazing! Thanks tons for sharing!! Perfect message :) Love you tons and tons!!