Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A Great Gift!

All you gentlemen out there...I am going to make your day. I have discovered a great gift. And Valentine's Day is right around the corner. No more worrying about what to get her. No more endless confusion at the jewelry counter. No more trying to figure out how to top last year's gift. This is the gift of all gifts. It is sturdy and comes in different varieties. What is the item I am talking about? Drum roll please! It is none other than the one and only meat tenderizer.



(OXO Black-Handled Meat Tenderizer:To tenderize or flatten cutlets and breasts of chicken, this Meat Tenderizer is the ideal tool. The Oxo Good Grips handle is sized just right for a sure, firm grip. One side of the tenderizer is flat & one is textured.)

Okay, so maybe I am just directing this to my friend Brad. You see last night, I had a great dinner with my friends Ang, Brad, and Addison. I was close to where they lived and so I dropped in for a suprise visit, after I called of course. While there, they invited me to stay for dinner, which of course I did :). I had a great time watching Ang prepare dinner and helping her out by trying to make cornbread. While I worked on the cornbread, Ang worked on the main course. Her recipe called for her to pound some chicken flat. First attempt: use a rolling pin. That didn't quite work out as well as expected. So Ang remembers watching a chef on tv use a skillet. Second attempt: use a household skillet. So I am standing there watching this sweet girl (and if you know Ang, you know she doesn't look like someone who can hurt anything) slam down a skillet on this chicken. It is loud, and I am pretty sure the house is shaking. And though I am watching her and know what noise to expect each time the skillet makes contact with the chicken, I flinch every time. After beating up on the chicken a couple of times, she decides it is flat enough. Brad and Addison return to the kitchen since the loud noise has stopped. I stop laughing. We continue talking and cooking. And at the end of it all, we enjoyed a delicious dinner!

So Brad, a good gift for Ang might be a meat tenderizer :). For me, the great gift is the time I spend with this beautiful family. The great gift is their friendship and love. The great gift is the love that we can share with others. Thank you Ang, Brad, and Addison for your friendship. And thank you God for those opportunities to love one another! That is a Great Gift!

5 comments:

Jess said...

oh my goodness...how fun!!! they are definitely a great family! And of course Ang can beat that chicken up, haven't you seen her beat up on Brad??? Ok, me neither :) Your post was histerical! I especially liked the line that said Brad and Addison returned after the loud noise stopped. You stop laughing. Kind of sounds like your laughing was the loud noise...love it :):):) and love you gobs and gobs!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laughs! I was cracking up through the whole description! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Dina said...

Hahahaha! Laughing out loud trying to picture Ang smashing chicken with a skillet. Oh, you never know what is going to happen when you go to the Ratliff's. Glad you had fun. I hope to see you tonight. You went to bed early last night! Love you!

Anonymous said...

We must've wore her out! :)

Anonymous said...

Never, never, never, never, never, never advise a man to get his wife a household item for a special occasion unless you plan on breaking them up!!!!