Monday, November 20, 2006

Requests


Do you have those people in your life that you always turn to for assistance?...that you always count on to provide for you? Jess wrote a wonderful post on my parents and how giving they are. And as I was contemplating her post and my prayers lately, I realized that I had gotten into the "request" rut. I have taken those "relationships" for granted.

What was the last thing I have done for my parents? Even during their short visit, and after they provided us with so much, I actually made a request that they keep their eyes open for a particular item that I have been looking for. Who does that? Why couldn't I just be so grateful for all they have done and instead of making a request, turn the tables around and ask what they needed?

And in regards to my relationship with God, why have my prayers turned into request times. I examined my prayer this morning to find out that my requests far outweigh any praise I give Him. Have I made this about me instead of Him? How could I ever think I knew what was best for me or the world better than God?

The question should be what can I do for you?...rather that what can you do for me?...or what can I get? It is about trusting God enough to know that He will provide and take care of us so that we can fully open our hearts and lives to Him to be used to fulfill His will, not ours.

So I end this post with a couple more requests, because it is such a hard habit to break :)...Ask yourself, what can I do for those who do so much for me...and do it! Most importantly, let God handle the worries we have and the direction of our lives as he has proven to be trustworthy all along, so that we can be servants of God with a heart that asks..."What can I do for you?"

3 comments:

Jess said...

What an amazing amazing post!! This one really opened my eyes! You are so right about praying and it being a request hour rather than a praise hour. Wow, really, wow! Thank you for sharing this thought! Because it really has impacted my outlook! Seriously amazing! Oh and great pictures :):) Kind of weird to see our baby pics and super weird to see Grace so small :):):) Love you tons and tons and tons!!!

Angela said...

Thanks for the insight!! Truly a wonderful read to contemplate!

And Grace was that little once?! :)

Alicia said...

Wow! Such a great post Jenn. It's so easy to get into the habit of asking for things we "need" when God knows all along what we really need. :)