Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Opportunities

This past weekend, while watching football, a commercial caught my attention and presented a wonderful opportunity. You see lately, my amazing sister who seems to be able to do everything, has found herself tired and a little stressed studying for an extremely difficult accounting test working towards her master's. I know she has a lot on her plate, but I have been impressed at how she remembers the important things…spending time with her completely supportive husband, interacting with her adorable daughter, taking the time to talk to me about anything, going to choir practice, being active in our bible study. As tired as she is and as busy as she is, she keeps the time and love she has for her family, friends, and church in the forefront. She has her priorities straight and that is such a wonderful example to see. I knew I wanted to do something special for her and when I saw this commercial for Stomp, I knew that was it. Monday after rearranging our schedules a bit, I purchased the tickets and informed her that Tuesday night I wanted to spend time with her. It was the perfect timing because she was taking the test on Monday and would not have to study. Keeping it a surprise was the difficult part, as many of you know I am terrible with secrets.

So last night we saw Stomp! And it was completely and unbelievably amazing! The rhythm throughout the whole show moved us and just brought so much energy to the night. We sat their in awe of the talent and of the ability of the performers to entertain us, to distract us from all that we face and have to do, if only for a short time. It was one of the best shows I have seen…and maybe that is because of the company I was with. But, it was a great opportunity...an opportunity that I am so thankful for.

Thanks to the parents for introducing us to the arts so that we may develop that appreciation. Thanks to the performers who share their talents with us. Thanks to my sis for being an example. Thanks to God for creating opportunities such as these.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Jenn, you are so sweet! You always encourage me and help me out whenever I need it! Last night was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! However, you are the one that is the example! You help me keep my focus on God and his blessings. You are a true example of giving...giving of your time, your talents, and you love!!!! I am completely blessed and thank God for placing you in my life! Thank you for everything and for always thinking of others!!! You have touched so many lives, and I am so happy and thankful that mine is one of them!! love you tons and tons!!

Dina said...

I love reading your blog about Jess (and hers about you). You have a great sister and i loved the "shout out" to her - not your first either. What a wonderful sister you are to surprise her and keep it a surprise - very proud of you! I can't wait to hear all about it too! Love you!

Angela said...

You rock! I'm glad you got to enjoy an awesome show with an amazing gal. Miss you!!!
love ya!

Anonymous said...

what a sweet thing for you to do! So were you able to keep it a secret!!?!?! I hope so ... surprises are fun! Jess is lucky to have such an amazing sister as you!

Oh yeah ... and I saw STOMP before too, and you are so right, it is really awesome!

Thanks for sharing! Love ya!