Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Success?

So I am still studying Genesis and this morning came across the verse Genesis 39:23 which states, "The warden paid no attention to anything under Joseph's care, because the LORD was with Joseph and gave him success in whatever he did."

I am sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh. Yes, I actually laughed at the Bible. But here we have Joseph who was sold into slavery by his own brothers out of jealousy, thrown into prison by his master based on a rumor that was not true. And yet, the Lord was with Joseph and gave him success? Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking as I read Joseph's story...what a success story...to be sold into slavery and put in prison. I can definitely see how the Lord was with him. If only I could be that successful. Yes, if you haven't caught on, all that was said with a sarcastic tone. But really, as I thought about it, what do I consider success? And what does it mean to have the Lord with you? Does it mean everything goes right and your way? Does it mean you become rich and famous? No, of course not. So why would I think that this verse is odd? Because, honestly, there I times where I hope that having God in my life means a life with no problems...or atleast fewer problems. I know, that sounds terrible. But sometimes I feel that way. So I needed to really think about this.

By taking the time to think more about this verse, I can see that the Lord was with Joseph in that he was able to find favor in the eyes of his masters. They entrusted him with everything and treated him kindly. He was successful because he was cared for by the One who watches over us during all times, even those difficult times. No matter what I face, I can be successful putting my trust in the Lord, the One who cares for me and is walking with me every moment, and helping me make it through even the difficult times.

3 comments:

Jess said...

great great great thought! I would have never thought of anything like that when reading it so I am so glad that you shared! What a great lesson! Love you tons and tons and tons!

Dina said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing those thoughts! They were amazing and it made me think about "success"? I love your take on scripture and am always excited to read what you have to say. Smooches!

Lee and Becca said...

Great Post Stranger! In my Bible it says: "The keeper of the prison paid no attention to anything that was in Joseph's charge, because the Lord was with him. (PERIOD) And whatever he did, the Lord made it succeed. (ESV) Doesn't it sound like the keeper of the prison knew that the Lord was with Joseph and that was why he was successful? I want people to see that the Lord is with me and that when I have success it is because the "Lord made it succeed" not because of anything I did!