Saturday, April 07, 2007

Sounds of the Night

As I am awoken from sleep by the swishing sound I hear as I toss and turn on the loveseat that is bit on the small side, by the sound of the train's whistle notifying me that the train has reached another intersection in the town I am visiting, by the sound of the clock in the room reminding me of the time as it chimes every 15 minutes...I hear the sound of jazz playing in the next room. It is the sound of comfort, the sound of familiarity, the sound of home...and I smile. I close my eyes and hear nothing but the sound of a trumpet, set of drums, and bass work together with the beat of my heart to create a masterpiece. I listen for a moment and then drift back to sleep.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

What a great way to look at your situation. Instead of being angry at being awakened in the night by all of those sounds, you actually remembered to enjoy being home. Can't say that I would've done that! :) Enjoy your weekend!

Jess said...

Jenn, this is a great post! You have such a way with words and descriptions...and you are so right...the sound of home!!! Love you tons and tons!!