Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Where did they go?

The other day I received a letter in the mail. Surprisingly, it wasn't a bill, a once in a lifetime amazing credit card offer, or a letter informing me that interest rates will soon be increasing and if I haven't consolidated my school loans yet, now is the time. Yes, an actual letter...handwritten and everything. It wasn't a long one, but it was a from a friend who thought she would literally write to me. As I read it I imagined where she was sitting and how she probably talked out loud as she wrote it, because that is just how she is :)...and I love that about her. She even picked out stationary that had a map in the upper right hand corner because she knows how much I love to travel. It was such an amazing surprise...a surprise that made me wonder where all the letters have gone. It has been a long time since I received an actual handwritten letter. Don't get me wrong, I love the fast way to communicate via email and phone, etc....but there was something so personal about this letter. I appreciated the time she took to sit down and write about how her and her family were doing. I appreciated the special touches and the even the mistakes she scratched out. I actually tried to remember the last "personal" touch I shared with someone. I think it has been too long. So as I am facing this busy day and rest of the week and weekend, maybe I will take a break and just sit and write. gotta love those special moments and personal touches!

1 comment:

Jess said...

I TOTALLY AGREE!! What a great post! We are all so busy and we are always running this way and that way, we don't take the time to make things personal between friends and family members. I am at fault as well...of course you know how well I keep in touch with others :) It is time to slow down, relax, and enjoy life. Enjoy the personal touches that we can share with each other. Emails are nice but you can only show emotions with a smiley face so many times :):):) Thank you for the great reminder and for all the personal touches you add to my life! Love you tons and tons and tons!