Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Speak Up Please...

February 6, 2008

Dear God,

Yeah, it has been a while it seems. I know you know all, so you probably know how busy I have been lately. I do have communication with you on my to do list, but then something comes up and time escapes me. So I haven't quite reached that task yet, but will do so soon.

If you need to reach me for anything, feel free to send me a text or email...or even one of those burning bushes you sent that Moses guy. That would definitely get my attention. With all the distractions here, it would be best if you could speak up. It is kind of hard to hear You these days.

I hope you are enjoying the furnishings of the closet I put you in. I had hoped to allow you into the other areas of my life, but at the moment they are filled with my own wants and desires. I will get to cleaning those out later, but have to get back to my favorite show right now.

Keep in touch!

All my love (on Sunday, Monday, and sometimes Wednesdays),
Jenn

Okay, so maybe we don't actually write God letters like this, but I think our actions speak differently. I am studying Exodus, and came to the story of Moses and the burning bush. Moses says to God, "Here I am."

And I couldn't help but think about where I am, not physically, but on the spiritual journey. Of course there are ups and downs, but it seems to me that my life shows more of the response in the letter, than Moses' response...Here I am.

I say, well God should speak up. Why can't I get a burning bush or something big like that? But why is it up to God to speak over all the distractions I add to my life? It is up to me to quiet all that is around me so that all I can hear is God? So that all I can hear is his voice whether it be a small whisper or a loud call guiding me, loving me, calling me.

Some of us wonder what our next step in life is. We worry, we stress, but we don't listen. I am not saying that it will all become clear, but I am saying it isn't on us to plan our lives. God has called each one of us to follow Him and He will provide that path. Listening to God isn't a task to put on your to do list, it is a part of life, every day, every moment.

Do you hear Him? Do you hear His call? Where is He leading you?

Let my life, my mind, my heart quiet to hear God...to respond with, Hear I am.

8 comments:

Rob said...

Great post...now, please quit stepping on my toes!!

Thanks for sharing...I enjoy reading your blog!

Jess said...

jenn, this post was very awesome. it really spoke to me and opened my eyes! you are so right and really got your point across!! it is time to listen! thank you so very much...seriously...a WOW post for me! love you tons and tons!!!

Alicia said...

What an eye opening post, Jenn. It is so easy to make excuses about why we can't do what God calls us to do. Why is it so hard to just BE STILL??

Anonymous said...

What a great reminder to make Him God over every part of our lives! And even when He doesn't work things out like we think He should, it could just be he is preparing us for where He wants us to go next.

I am trying to listen, to figure out what God wants me to do with this life, what is my next step, what is my purpose? And so far all I hear is "a relationship with Me!" And after all, what more could God want with my life? If I am not putting that first, then what does it matter if I am out working somewhere, or if I have children to take care of, or other ministries/hobbies/activities, etc. to keep me busy?

I could be miserable for this time in my life, (I often wonder, "am I wasting my life?"), but I am trying to choose to be thankful for every opportunity my somewhat "simple" life affords me to learn, pray, study, and understand what God is trying to do in me, and to understand what it means to have a real, personal relationship with Him. (but even without a crazy busy life it is still so easy to get distracted - it seems there is always something there to steal away your attention)

And I still don't know "what" I am supposed to do, "where" I am supposed to go, and I still have days where I get depressed and lose my focus... and I still have days where I long for close friends, people who I can confide in, and it is then, that God says "I am your friend"!!! Wow!!! ---I am learning "who" I am supposed to be...

Thank you, Jenn, for being a part of that. And sorry for such a long comment.... but you asked!!!!!!!! :)

Jessica said...

i am very guilty of packing my day so full and trying to squeeze God in when i can. thanks for the insights.

Ponz, Lil Ponz, Real Lil Ponz and Baby Ponz said...

It always amazes me how easy it is to get distracted and not hear what God is saying. At times during my journey, I have shouted at God - "Here I am, do you not see me?" The problem was that He was talking, but I wasn't listening.

Jessica said...

jess...i mean jen :) i'm glad you were able to come on friday. we'll have to do it more often. have a super week!

christy marie said...

Jenn - amazing post. I have missed reading your blog and am going to try to start blogging and reading again. I hope you are doing well (it looks that way based on some of the reading I did on your blog)! Keep your wisdom and insight coming!

love ya,
Christy