Friday, August 03, 2007

Oh That Little Four Letter Word...

When I was in Africa, the guys would tease me, daily, about my overuse of the word "whatever". Though we all know it is the world's most intelligent comeback in any situation, even though it really doesn't make any sense ;). Noticing just how much I said "whatever" I tried to take it out of my vocabulary, but would contantly slip up. It is difficult to change an old habit, even if it is changing a simple word in your vocabulary...so I came to find out.

During my recent study of 1Kings, I came across chapter 8 verse 23 which states, "O LORD, God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven above or on earth below—you who keep your covenant of love with your servants who continue wholeheartedly in your way."

Remember that fun stage in childhood when we began to realize the idea of ownership, of something belonging to us and get on the kick that everything is "mine"? Even today, as adults, we can find ourselves thinking or saying, "that's mine" or even "I want that to be mine". We hold on to things such as money, possessions, talents and gifts, our lives, even our love thinking that we need to maintain our control, our power, our image, our safety. When will we be ready to let it all go?

The answer: when we are truly able to say...it is not mine...it is yours (God's). It is all yours, all that I have, my life, my love. So I will work on changing not only my vocabulary from "mine" to "your" but my way of thinking because until I truly understand that all is God's, "mine" will constantly slip back into my vocabulary and into my heart....just like "whatever".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words and spirit.

Greg L.

Jess said...

that is awesome jenn! thanks tons for sharing! it is definitely an eye opener! with a two year old at home, i totally know what you mean about saying mine a lot...but you are right...i say it a lot too...maybe not out loud but in my mind more than i care to admit...thanks for slapping me in the face with this message :) love you tons and tons and tons!!

Alicia said...

I just love reading your blog because you always come away from reading scripture with some great message (even if it is from the Old Testament, which I struggle reading!! :) ) That is a super hard thing to be able to say that nothing on this Earth really is ours to keep.
P.S. I would be happy to pinch you each time you say "Whatever" if you need some more reinforcement! :) HA!