Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Undivided Heart

Distractions are everywhere! We can get caught up in all the wonderful things that surround us. We have the love of family and friends that is so intimate that they seem to be all we need. Money and power can be addicting. Possessions become desires and necessities. We can even become obsessed with people we admire or look up to. I am definitely susceptible to many of these distractions. In the past I got lost in them. I lost my focus and turned these distractions from something I just enjoyed...to obsessions. I loved so much and so many things that no matter what the next thing I desired was, my heart was empty. My heart was divided, and honestly I can't say that God had a piece. But still He never left...He was always there. He broke me down and helped me see that the intimacy I seek and the One I long to be devoted to is Him. No matter what item, person, dream I focused on, nothing was going to fill that void. My heart was missing the only focus I needed...Christ.

Why am I being so honest? Because today I came to the realization that it is so easy to head in that direction again. If I can't admit this, than I would just be in denial. I would just be pretending that I haven't made mistakes and that I couldn't make those same mistakes again. There has been something I desired for the past week or so, but as I thought about it today, I realized that it had become a distraction. It distracted me by not giving this desire to God, until today. Today I caught myself and remembered that God is in control and that He is the desire of my heart.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy many things and enjoy the many blessings God gives, but I need to remain focused on Him and let Him be what my heart desires...knowing that no matter what wonderful blessings come my way, my heart is His. So I hold myself accountable and share with you this fault, praying that I have an undivided heart, one that only seeks, loves, focuses, and is devoted to Christ.

Psalm 86:11
Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Oh my goodness...did you ever hit me over the head with that one! It is amazing how your witnessing helps open my eyes to my faults as well! I am so in awe over this post because it hit me in the heart. I too have been focused on my own plan and it is time to turn my attention to the One who has the best plan! You never cease to amaze me and you are such a blessing in all of our lives! You are in my prayers for the undivided heart and I can't wait to see what God has planned for your life! Love you tons and tons and tons!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so blessed to have friends like you!! You are an amazing child of God!! I love you!
Ang :)