Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Wept

Wept is such a strong word. It is word full of emotion, a descriptive word that even in it's simplicity, says a lot.

I spent this morning focusing on the word wept...what it meant to me, and how that meaning has changed. I admit it. I was one of those people who thought that weeping was a sign of weakness. No one directly told me that, it is just something I picked up from somewhere in the past 26 years of my life. I have been reading 1Samuel the past month or so and when I came to verse 41 I was struck by the word "wept".

It states, "After the boy had gone, David got up from the south side of the stone and bowed down before Jonathan three times, with his face to the ground. Then they kissed each other and wept together-but David wept the most"…such a passionate verse, such emotion.

Throughout the past few chapters, the scripture explains the strong friendship between Jonathan and David, but in this verse I can actually feel the strength of that friendship...I can feel the love. In this scripture I can sense the deep love and emotions that are present.

What a gift to love so strongly and to be loved so deeply. To express such pure, raw, and genuine emotion is not weak, but powerful, honest, and beautiful.

Wept...what a simple yet expressive word.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Great post as always! Thank you so much for sharing :) I love everything I learn from your blog! Love you bunches! Jess