Monday, May 08, 2006

Sing It Ella!

As I was thinking about how busy the past few weeks have been, there is a memory that I want to share with you. I don't know how often my parents read this, but I hope they read this one because they are both very special to me and it is moments like these that I reflect on when we are apart.

The memory I want to share took place a couple of weeks ago during their visit. Not much time has passed since then, but I know I will remember this moment vividly for years to come.

My parents and I came home from an okay dinner that my sis and I attempted to make for them. But we made it with love, and isn't that all that matters? :). Mom and dad gathered their stuff so that they would be ready to leave the next morning. Dad poured some wine for us and we congregated in the living room. I told dad that we needed some music and asked what his preference might be...knowing exactly what he would request...some good jazz music.

I put in my favorite ella and louis cd, and we sat on the couch and listened. The room was quiet, except for the beautiful music that was both calming and amazing. We just listened. Every once in a while we would talk about how strong, clear, and natural Ella's voice was. We would make a comment here or there about a certain song. But for the most part we just listened and enjoyed our wine.

As much as I love jazz, the night was amazing because of who I shared it with...my dad. I can still picture his face as he enjoyed every note. We don't have a lot in common, but jazz is something that we both love. We connect with jazz. I may not know all the greats, or why they are so great. I may not be able to tell you what certain jazz songs mean or pick out different musicians or musical terms, but I can tell you exactly how it makes me feel. I can tell you the emotions it brings to me. I can tell you the memories that come with certain jazz songs, and from moments like the ones with my dad.

So I just want to say...thanks dad for moments like the one we shared. Thank you for being you. Thanks mom and dad for all the great memories I have and all you have introduced me to.

love always,
stella by starlight

No comments: