Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Overcome

This morning, while reading scripture, I began to think about our ability to overcome...anything...even our own will. I am still studying 1Samuel and learning about David's faith. I came to the scripture that tells of David's opportunities to kill Saul, and yet he does not.

1Samuel 26:11 states, "But the LORD forbid that I should lay a hand on the LORD's anointed. Now get the spear and water jug that are near his head, and let's go."

How? How could David watch Saul sleep, a man who is trying to kill him, and not take action against this man?

Why? Why did David not harm Saul, protect himself?

How? How could David just walk away?

David overcame his own will.

David listened to God's instructions. He had to have truly understood that God's will was more important than his own. He had to have a faith so strong to trust his life with God...especially when it was being threatened.

I thought about the desires, the emotions and grudges, the destructive behavior that we face and deal with in life. If someone hurts us, sometimes we hold on to it and hold it against them.... and sometimes we retaliate. Some people form hate groups because they are scared of the unknown, of things and cultures that they don't understand.

We develop excuses to harm or hurt others...believing that we have the responsibility to judge or punish those who wrong us or even those we don't understand. We stop listening to God and start listening to ourselves.

I know that I can't just listen to God when it is convenient for me...doing what He asks when it is something that I want to do. I need to listen to him even when He asks me to do something I would have trouble doing...and ask for the strength to fulfill His will.

I pray that I am open to God, so that He may work through me. I pray that He overcomes me, so that I may overcome my own will to fulfill His.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Wow...that is so empowering!! Thank you for being such an inspiration. It is so hard to follow God's will when it isn't something you want to do. The funny thing is, when we don't do it, things don't seem to work out the way we really wanted them to. But when we go back and trust in God and his plan, it all works out perfectly. Thank you for the reminder!! Love you gobs!

Dina said...

What a great way to put all of that - overcome my own will. Why is it so hard to do? I will never understand that . . . but I will never be able to accomplish, on my own, what God can accomplish through me when I lay myself aside. Thanks for sharing your heart. It was a great lesson as always! Love ya blobs and obs . .