Monday, April 14, 2008

Like A Grasshopper

I am small.

We all face those moments or challenges that seem insurmountable. We feel so small and easily overwhelmed by what we may be facing. We feel weak as we try to face it on our own. And sometimes we believe we are strong enough and wise enough...we have it all...to do things on our own. So we fight that feeling of being small. But how blessed we are to feel small.

I am small.

And because I am small, I need the strength of God. I am open to His power in my life, His use of me. I can't do it alone. I need God. And this weekend was just another wonderful reminder of that. I had a wonderful evening with Dina who, because of our busy schedules, I barely see though we live in the same house. So we scheduled a roomie night...complete with chinese food and makeovers with Robin...followed by watching Atonement. It was a wonderful restful night and a much needed break from working on my seminar for my trip in June, missions research, and just balancing out the rest of my life. She is such a great friend!


And this morning, I received a hand-written letter from her. Her encouraging words reminded me that I am small and God has blessed me with her friendship that encourages me during this time in my life. He provided strength. He provided love.


I read Numbers 13:31-33 last night. It states, But the men who had gone up with him said, "We can't attack those people; they are stronger than we are." And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored. They said, "The land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size. We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them."

They felt small.

And instead of turning to and trusting in God, they trembled and moaned in fear. They saw their size as a weakness. They focused on that instead of seeing the greatness and power of God through them, among them, and with them.

God is with us always, ready to work through us and within us. He is my provider.

I am small, but I am significant to Christ!!!

7 comments:

Jess said...

what a great post about being small! it is great to be small because our great Provider...God...always takes care of us! We just need to have the faith! Even the faith of a SMALL mustard seed :) What a fun roomie night! Love ya tons!

Alicia said...

Jenn, your posts are so encouraging! It is great to know that we don't have to do those huge, overwhelming things all by ourselves! God is there with us.

Dina said...

love you!

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

Guess what! I'm reading Genesis. I'm in chapter 6 and this morning I came across the word Nephilim and I thought it was strange. Then I came to read your blog and you mentioned it! So I'm naming my next kid that. Just kidding.
Love the makeover pics and even more so.. wanted some Chinese. ha ha!
Thanks for reminding me I am small... Though I FEEL big. Real big today actually. I think I'm bloated.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Jenn! What a great reminder that when we feel small and insignificant and fear what is ahead,
to remember that God is bigger than us and we can trust Him to accomplish everything He wants to do, DESPITE us!!!!

Jessica said...

i love reading your encouraging posts. i have been slow to comment lately because usually i only have one free hand when i'm reading due to greyson being in the other! :) know that i'm still reading even though i may not comment every time. love you and can't wait to see you soon!

Ponz, Lil Ponz, Real Lil Ponz and Baby Ponz said...

It sounds like you girls had a good time together...it is like college. Oh the good times.